Raelene Hurry, M.Ed., RCC
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIP & AFFILIATIONS
- Registered Clinical Counsellor with BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
- Masters of Education in School Counselling, City University
- Bachelor of Arts in Child and Youth Care, University of the Fraser Valley
- Introduction to Neuroscience and Satir in the Sand Tray
- Emotion Focused Individual Therapy and Trauma, Level 1
- Polyvagal Informed Therapy
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Certification
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Certified Shame Treatment Specialist
Being a Counsellor
Raelene is a person-centered counsellor who believes that healing happens in positive relationships. She seeks to build a trusted relationship with her clients and integrates modalities best suited to meet their needs. Raelene believes that providing a safe, non-judgmental space for clients to let their guard down and be seen, heard, and respected is a privilege. She also believes that each individual is the expert of their own life, but at times we all need some support, some guidance, or some clarity in our lives. She aims to hold space for her clients in a way that helps to ease their pain and suffering and to guide them to discover new insights. Raelene believes there is always hope and a great capacity for growth in each of us.
Raelene is a Registered Clinical Counsellor with the BCACC. She has a Masters degree in Educational Counselling and a Bachelor’s degree in Child and Youth Care. Raelene has over two decades of experience counselling children and families with mental health needs across educational and community settings. With many years of experience working with school aged children, she has a special fondness for working with pre-teens. She also works with adults, adolescents, and children with anxiety, stress, trauma, intense emotions, or struggling with life transitions. As a mother of two, Raelene understands that the perinatal period can be overwhelming; therefore, she has a passion for supporting maternal mental health as well.
Raelene sees herself as a life-long learner and always training and building her capacity to help her clients. Raelene encourages her clients to take an active role in therapy, often trying out and practicing new skills, engaging in mindfulness-based and mind-body exercises, and/or expressive modalities that connect the right and left sides of the brain to facilitate healing. As a counsellor, she feels truly blessed to have been witness to incredible resilience over the years, which drives her passion for helping others.
Key Philosophical Beliefs
- As human beings we are hard-wired for connection with others and much of our suffering can often be connected to a real, a perceived, or a fear of a wound to our attachment with others.
- We construct our reality and have the ability to create new narratives that better serve us.
- Through the power of a positive relationship, change can and does happen.
- Optimal health and well-being involves uncovering, tapping into, and using the wisdom of the body, mind, and spirit.
Raelene as a Person
When she is not at work, Raelene is busy taking care of her two children and one fur-baby. When she can, she loves to curl up with a book, paint, or watch a show. Raelene loves the outdoors and spends time camping with her husband and children as often as possible. She enjoys taking amateur photos of nature because it helps her to pause and mindfully take in the beauty around her. She is most at peace by the water or in the forest, and can always be spotted doing yoga in either place!